Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Drama of the Dress...

So, being pregnant has been fun, but the most interesting part so far has been all the changes in my body and the changes in clothes.

At first, back when I was still trying to interview for professional positions, my slim-fitting work dresses were hugging tightly to my freshly bloated body (pretty darn uncomfortable!). So then I decided to give up on dressing up, wearing heels and most of the time wearing make-up. (That's another plus of pregnancy- you get nice fresh, glowing skin so makeup is not nearly the parade it used to be.) 

I have one pair of shorts that are juniors stretch denim cut-offs and they are amazing (you've probably seen me in them more than once!). I simply leave the top button undone on a big day and most days I can still button it! Couple these with a looser fitting v-neck and you've got my favorite 1st trimester outfit!

Around 8 weeks most of my "I just lost 35 lbs. and want to show it off" clothes were miserable! The idea of wearing pre-pregnancy clothes that even touch my lower stomach area makes me cringe. So I headed off with my mom to Old Navy in Alabaster (suburb of B'ham, AL) in search of some "beginner" maternity clothes. What I found quickly replaced my old favorites...
Maternity Jeans, ah bliss! For one, why do women ever wear regular squeezed in right across your fat stomach jeans when you have the ability to purchase jeans that don't touch your muffin top at all!?!? And for two, I am sure I will need an intervention one day after the baby is born to get me out of maternity jeans... just sayin'

Now that I am 14 weeks, I pretty much stick to my very limited wardrobe of maternity clothes (Thanks to Old Navy, Ross, Blair McWhirter and Koreen Matthews I do have a small section devoted to mama clothes!!!). I got my little baby bump going on because, they say, my "uterus is atop my pubic bone" now. I still rub my belly in public to make sure people know I am pregnant, not just chubby:). 

But let's chat for a second about an upcoming wedding that I am in... Sheila Humphrey, long-time bestie from college, is getting married to an adorable guy on October 27th and I am one of her bridesmaids. When she picked the Bridesmaids' dresses at David's Bridal in Mobile, she took me, an average-to-medium-sized girl, and her cousin, a teeny tiny girl, so she could get an idea what the whole range of girls would look like.
The size 8 fit like a dream- I think they made it just for me! but I went ahead and ordered a 10 because I imagined how many size 10, 12, 14, etc. tried on this 8 to be able to blow out the zipper and figured better safe than sorry! The dress came in a couple days after I found out I was pregnant; I drove to Mobile and picked it up. When I was getting the dress I told the lady, "Good thing I ordered the 10, I'm pregnant!" She said I was the 4th person that day to say that! I took the dress home, hung it up and forgot about it...
UNTIL... the voice of reason, Blair M., said "Um, you are showing some (at the time we didn't know that it was a poo baby, not an actual baby bump- apparently your digestive tract stops completely around 10-12 weeks) so maybe you should try on that dress and make sure it still fits." This is a pic of my "fake poo baby bump" in a size 12 (at 12 weeks I think). Note: Sheila's dresses are actually in Peacock so they are much cuter! Well I'll be damned if that dumb dress wasn't mislabeled- it had to be a size 4... so a few tears fell and a text was sent. I told Sheila I was surely going to ruin her wedding with my big, fat, too-tight-won't-even-zip dress. She quickly did what she does and turned to Social Media for help. She Tweeted (sent a message on Twitter, mom) @ David's Bridal, "Please be nice to my preggo friend when she comes in to try to switch sizes." and she immediately got a reply asking for details. Within a few hours I received a phone call from  some big shot in the company talking about "going to the buyers to make this right..." etc. and I drove back to Mobile on my high-horse they gave me and had the Store Manager's undivided attention. It was cool! 

This pic is me in the 12 with the pillow bump on top of the "fake poo baby bump" which was what we were estimating would be what I looked like at the wedding- Yikes!I reordered a 14, at their advice, and was on my way, problem solved. BUT... when I tried on this dress yesterday afternoon (after I lost about 10 pounds of the fake baby bump and got back to a regular 14 wk bump) and realized we went way too big!!! It hangs off my boobs and shoulders, has about 3-4 inches through the hips, and just looks frumpy! So my hope for today is to show it to Sheila (watch her disgust as she sees her great choice look like total crap) and get her social media fingers going.

Let's just hope I can get the only 12 they have in the warehouse that services over 400 stores before October 27th!!!


Aaannnddd... the moment you probably haven't been waiting for...

My Current Bump, right this very minute, as I write this (thinking about my 10:30 am snack!)




Whew, all this talk about clothes I think I'm going to go hit up the OldNavy.com 50% off Maternity sale!

Happy shopping people, and be glad you don't have an ever changing gut!

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! Super excited for you!!

    I was in a wedding at the end of August at 26 weeks. I had to order my dress 4 months earlier! We only went one size larger and thanks to my sister's mad sewing skills, we made it work. I should have gone 2 sizes larger. But who knew?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I ended up 2 sizes bigger and, Fingers Crossed, it should be perfect! It will be in only 10 days before the wedding and I'm stuck either way... Yikes!!! Thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete